Disclaimer: I am still new to this religion, so some-things may be wrong. I am open to constructive criticism so please message me.
I made a video the other day on my YouTube channel about the terms and a simple overview of what Hellenic Polytheism is, which you can watch below if you have no idea what the religion is about; this post is about my personal practice and connection to the religion.
I have always been interested and felt a connection to the Greek Gods (as a young child my favourite bedtime stories was the child version of the Greek Myths) but it was not until I turned twenty and was discovering what I believed in, that through research I found that there was a modern religion build upon the Greek myths.
Since then I have been researching various texts and following blogs that focus on HP in order to get a first person perspective on the religion that I was learning was the right one for me. (See end of post for blog recommendations)
Now in my late twenty’s it was only recently that I have felt comfortable and confident with my self and my relationship with the Theoi (Gods) to write down exactly who my Patron Gods are and which cult (for lack of a better word) I am following.
My Patron Gods:
- Athena – I am in doing an MA Degree in Fine Art and wish to be constantly learning.
- Hephaestus – I am an artist, I paint and sculpt
- Apollon – I am learning to play the guitar and afterwards the piano, I use divination, and write poetry.
- Hermes – I travel a lot for work, university, and for fun. I am a writer and love learning new words and languages
- Hestia – I work as a cleaner
- Hecate – I live on a crossroads, have always owned dogs, and practice witchcraft
- Dionysus – due to his view of the world, and him changing places with Apollon at the Delphi over Winter
- Aphrodite – due to an healthy view of sex, gender, and love
- Zeus – King of the Gods, ambition, power, and rain
- Hera – Queen of the Gods, female, trust, healthy relationships
- Demeter – healthy crops, the turning of the seasons.
- Persephone – Queen of the Underworld, deciding your own path, respect for others
- Hades – King of the Underworld, deserved wealth, sacrifice, punishment
- Artemis – Goddess of childbirth and sister to Apollon
- Ares – For seeing emotions as a normal thing for all genders
- Poseidon – King of the Seas, horses, wildness, untames
Basically all the Dodekatheon with extras
I also focus my worship on four Theoi that I call the Bumblebee squad due them all having associations to the Bumblebee.
Apollo: Due to his son Aristaios being the God of Bee-keeping, and his priestesses in Delphi were named Melissa (bee and honey Nymphs)
Artemis: One of her surnames is Melissa
Aphrodite: A bee sting is used as a euphemism for the sting of love in one myth
Hermes: His nymphs are called Thriae who are bee nymphs
I also try my best to follow the moral and ethical guidelines wrote down by Apollon and various philosophers, and the Pillars of Hellenic polytheism which are Kharis, Metriotes, Sophia, Eusebeia, Ethike Arete, Sophrosune, Xenia, and Hagneia
So that is a lot of information for you to look at, hoped you liked this glimpse into my religion.
Below are Hellenic Polytheist blogs and resource sites just as promised above, the people running these blogs are much more knowledgeable than me when it comes to HP.